the good donut

"The best donut is a free donut. The next best donut is the next free donut"

Sunday, January 23, 2005

Oh How Special

Since we started the adoption process we have heard allot of people express what special people we are for adopting. To tell you the truth I have always been a little uncomfortable with that label. I don’t consider myself any more special than any parent who does what it takes to do the right thing for their children. Yes, going to China is a bit more involved than walking down the street to the preschool but it is simply what we do as parents do.

As far as even being a special parent goes there are many times I don’t feel all that special, I feel like I am just getting by, like I’m just faking it, I just hope I’m not screwing up Noah to badly. See my problem is that I’m "only human" which means not only do I not have all the answers but also I can be selfish and self-serving. I wish I could be the perfect father to my children but I know that eventually my humanity will get in the way. While I may not be a perfect parent I do know a perfect Father.

…What man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him! Matthew 7:9-11 NKJV

People, even with all the good intentions in the world, will eventually let us down. I know this is not so with my Heavenly Father. He is always at the ready with good things. All I need to do is ask, God has made provision for my every need. Jesus didn’t come to earth to establish a list of oppressive rules or a religion. He came to accept a punishment that should rightfully be mine. He came to defeat death. He came to make it possible for our relationship with our Heavenly Father to be restored should we chose it. I am glad that God, our Heavenly Father, doesn’t "fake it"; that He knows exactly what He’s doing all the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home