the good donut

"The best donut is a free donut. The next best donut is the next free donut"

Friday, November 11, 2005

Veteran's Day

While I am proud of my military service I am a little uncomfortable being recognized on veterans day since my time in the Navy was during peace time. I was awarded a National Defense Medal for Operation Desert Storm but I was in Bremerton, WA at the time; not exactly the front. On the other hand my Grandpa Best was a Gunner's Mate aboard a Liberty Ship during WW2, my father was in the 1st Signal Corp during the Vietnam War and My sister, Kindra, and her husband are currently serving their second tour of duty in Iraq with the 3rd Armored Cavalry.

I don't feel inferior to them since the defense of this country has always been a dangerous business and I had no control of the world situation. I suppose had I not been young and invincible while making patrols in the Atlantic I would have been more aware of the danger.

I do feel that those who serve during war, however, deserve extra thanks. Their sacrifices (in my opinion) are greater. They can never un-remember the memories. Their lost comrades can never be brought back. They are deserving of gratitude for their service, service that often doesn't end when they are discharged.

The LORD is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him.

The LORD is a warrior; the LORD is his name. Exodus 15:2-3

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home