the good donut

"The best donut is a free donut. The next best donut is the next free donut"

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Fat Man Walkin'

I have come to an undeniable conclusion… I am not as young as I once was. It is fact that after a certain age (which I have passed), if nothing about your lifestyle changes, you start to gain weight. Not that I have become grossly obese but I am starting to feel the gravitational pull that only one too many Krispy Kremes can bestow. I fear that if nothing changes I will need to start carrying an emergency stick of Butter Flavored Crisco in the event I need to perform an emergency extrication from a door that until that moment I was able to pass unhindered.

As a preemptive strike (before greasing up becomes necessary) I have started to walk. I bought a pedometer and have started to count my steps. According to Shape Up America 10,000 steps (about 5 miles) a day are required to maintain. My first week I had two days less than 2000.

My goal is to increase my daily average steps five percent each week until everyday I am doing 12,000 steps. So far (I am in the third week) I am meeting my goals. The issue that is rapidly approaching will be the days I don’t work. While I am active (I have two small children) my house just isn’t that big and with the weather rapidly changing, going outside could prove challenging.

My ultimate goal is; when my children are teenagers and want to go out and participate in outdoor activities that I don’t resemble Jabba the Hut and I can join them.

"Noah, Kaara is that your dad with the BBQ pork rinds and the Diet Coke? I think he has fallen down"… What a proud day that would be.

The encouraging thing is I have already started to see progress. While I have not lost any significant weight, I have lost 1% body fat.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:01 PM, Blogger Billi-Jean said…

    http://speakwell.com


    This is a great site for tracking your daily steps. There is lots of blah blah there, but the tracking stuff is free. You can even map your progess on a trek around Canada.

    After a few years of chronic illness, I was waaaaay out of shape and really heavy. My daily total for steps was low too - not much over 2000. So I've been gradually building them up. Two months in, I average 6000 per day and I've lost a wack of weight without doing anything else.

    Good luck!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home