the good donut

"The best donut is a free donut. The next best donut is the next free donut"

Friday, December 22, 2006

2006 Keener Family Christmas Letter

"How many observe Christ's birthday! How few, His precepts!" -Benjamin Franklin

I have, over the last few months, become quite the debater. It’s not quite Crossfire or the stuff of presidential campaigns but it is quite compelling. Usually it goes something like this:

“Put on your shoes.”

“No.”

“Put on your shoes!”

“I… don’t… want… to.”

“I didn’t ask what you wanted.

“WAAAAAAAA!”

What is truly special about the debate is that it works equally well with a number of topics from “Eat your breakfast” to “It’s time for bed”. The fact that I outweigh my opponent 10:1 seems to have little effect on her, still she holds to her position.

We have been parents for over five years now. To be quite honest, for the most part, God has blessed us with pretty well behaved children. The astounding thing is: of all the things I have tried to teach Kaara and Noah I have never tried to teach them to disobey. Yet, there are times when one or both decide that they will stand in opposition to Kris or myself. While neither of my children learned disobedience from me they did inherit it, just as I did.

Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned— Romans 5:12 (NIV)

Just as my children disobey so do I, and as frustrating as a 5 or 2 year old disobedience is to me so is my disobedience to God. Knowing I am disobeying does little to prevent it:

But I need something more! For if I know the law but still can't keep it, and if the power of sin within me keeps sabotaging my best intentions, I obviously need help! I realize that I don't have what it takes. I can will it, but I can't do it. I decide to do good, but I don't really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. My decisions, such as they are, don't result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time. Romans 7:17-20 (The Message)

The fact that I cannot defeat sin by sheer power of will, that I can never escape my own nature is exactly the point of Christmas.

Consequently, just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men, so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification that brings life for all men. For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous. The law was added so that the trespass might increase. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more, so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 5:18-21 (NIV)

We celebrate Christmas, the coming of Christ, in order to celebrate His grace and the eternal life it provides.

This last year Noah prayed to have Jesus come live in his heart. Nothing, since his birth, has been more exciting for me. We eagerly anticipate watching him grow in his relationship with Christ. We pray for wisdom to help guide him. Both Kaara and Noah continue to grow in their faith we are eager to see what God has for them.

This year at Christmas we hope that you are experiencing the grace of God and that you are able to celebrate the eternal life His coming made possible.

Merry Christmas,

Kaara, Noah, Kris and Pat

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home